Friday, November 9, 2012

UltraMarathon Man - Dean Karnazes

One of the my favorite passions is running.  I could blog just about running, and I would never get bored.

DEAN'S LEGS!


The one runner I look up to the most is Dean Karnazes, the Ultra Marathon Man.  What separates Dean from any other runner I have followed or met, is his drive.  My friend gave me a copy of his book, 'Ultra Marathon Man', and I finally got around to reading it.  I was blown away!


Below are some quotes from the book that I treasure and use as motivation:
Most dreams die a slow death.  They're conceived in a moment of passion, with the prospect of endless possibility, but often languish and are not pursued with the same heartfelt intensity as when first born.  Slowly, subtly, a dream becomes elusive and ephemeral.  People who've let their own dreams die become pessimists and cynics.  They feel that the time and devotion spent on chasing their dreams were wasted.  The emotional scars last forever.  "It can't be done," they'll say, when you describe your dream.  "It'll never happen."
This part of the book really stood out to me.  I feel I have followed this path many of times in my life, and when I reflect on what went wrong, it was because of lack of intensity.
Runners are real people.  They don't run for money or recognition, they do it out of passion.
Runners are the most peculiar, caring, funniest, interesting people I have ever met.  Some of my best friendships were forged running.

Check out his website www.ultramarathonman.com and find out what he is up to next!

No comments:

Post a Comment