Monday, June 2, 2014

BOOK REVIEW: Cybill Disobedience by Cybill Shepherd with Aimee Lee Ball

Many may wonder, "Why would you read a book about Cybill Shepherd?"  The answer is 'Why Not?'



The ol' saying of 'Don't judge a book by its cover' is thoroughly shattered with this book.  You truly can judge the book by this cover, and know you are going to be thoroughly impressed!

Below are the Insightful/Hilarious/Frightful quotes compiled by reading 292 pages about Cybill Shepherd:

Family Life and Advice:
...My siblings and I ignored the frisson between my parents and never discussed the family drinking patterns, except that we referred to Moma and Da-dee's Florida Condominium as Fort Liquordale.
I can take a trip down memory lane just by walking past the men's cologne counter of any department store.
After winning Miss Teenage Tennessee, a note arrived '...you are such a sweet, thoughtful All-American Girl.  If you stay this, and I am sure you will, you can never really become a loser.'
My room looked like the inside of a pepto-bismal bottle.
On dating Elvis:
Then he opened his jacket and revealed a pearl-handled revolver stuck in his belt.  "I carry this little girl everywhere I go."
Elvis was the first person I ever saw drink bottled water, which he imported from the Ozarks.  "You drink enough of this,and it'll keep you regular."
 Advice and Movie Reviews:
"If I was still acting, you're the kind of girl I'd like to work with.  Whatever you do, don't get depressed and start eating." - Cary Grant
When Gene Shalit reviewed the film on The Today Show, he said "In this movie Cybill Shepherd appears as if she cannot walk or talk, much less sing."
"Casting Cybill Shepherd in a musical comedy is like entering a horse in a cat show" - Cincent Canby of the New York Times
There's nothing like rejection right in your face to keep you humble.
"Cybill Shepherd is a no-talent dame with nice boobs and a toothpaste smile and all the star quality of a dead hamster." - Critic 
Life Choices:
I gained forty-five pounds during my first pregnancy, and just to keep me company, my husband, David, gained fifty.
When my daughter was christened, I wore Birkenstocks.  My Mother and Grandmother complained, but I told them Jesus wore sandals and would have understood.
By the third tri-mester, I was so i huge i began to resemble Marlon Brando.
...I got to do The Return, not quite the worst movie ever made, but close.  The plot, such as it was, concerned aliens who come to Earth and inhabit cows.
My first choice for the part was Paula Poundstone, a stand-up comedienne with a twisted wacky charm.
Introductions:
I'm Cybill Shepherd, You know, the Movie Star?

If you are looking for a good time on a Saturday night, I wholeheartedly recommend Cybill Disobedience!

- MO 6/2/14 



No comments:

Post a Comment