Monday, January 14, 2013

A good idea out of Detroit..Seriously, I am not kidding

I nearly did a double take when I saw what one group of investors were preparing to show Detroit City Council (the most brilliant of its kind).

As the broken city thinks big and radically about its future, a developer is stepping forward with a revolutionary idea: Sell the city's Belle Isle park for $1 billion to private investors who will transform it into a free-market utopia.  
The Detroit News: 
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130112/BIZ/301120319#ixzz2I0z2tGRw
 I love this response because of whom the person is associated with:
The idea won't go anywhere, said George Jackson, president and CEO of the Detroit Economic Growth Corp., the quasi-public agency that promotes development for the city.  
I would love to know what ideas the 'quasi-public' agency has for spurring growth.  I am sure higher taxes and more public-private partnerships would work out...

Turning Belle Isle into a State Park is one of the dumbest ideas the council could endorse (if they do so).  A free market utopian would absolutely spur people to visit Detroit.  Yes, people would actually want to go to Detroit...gasp!

No comments:

Post a Comment